"Canter's Deli is one of California's oldest delis.
Located in Los Angeles' Miracle Mile District -
the heart and soul of the entertainment
industry - Canter's Delicatessen is a third-
generation family-run business whose owners
have an intense pride in their deli and a
hands-on work ethic.
It all began in Jersey City, New Jersey in 1924.
After losing a deli in the 1929 stock market
crash, Ben Canter and his two brothers moved
to California with just $500 in their pockets.
Eager to succeed, they opened up a Canter
Brother's Delicatessen in 1931 in Boyle
Heights, the Jewish center of Los Angeles.
When the character of the neighborhood
changed, Ben Canter's daughter, Selmo Udko,
and her then husband, Harold Price,
partnered with Ben Canter and his wife,
Jennie, to purchase a prime location at 439
North Fairfax Avenue. And instead of calling it
Canter's Brothers they called it Canter's
In 1953 this new team purchased the old
Esquire Theatre at 419 North Fairfax and
moved Canter's Deli just up the street to the